Emil's Mansion (known simply as the Manor in-game) is a location in NieR Replicant and Gestalt. The huge manor sits atop a hill just before Seafront, and is home to Emil and his butler Sebastian. Grimoire Rubrum is also housed inside the mansion library.
Once inside the gate, nearly all color is turned into shades of grey. The main theme of the mansion is a vocal version of The Ultimate Weapon. Until Yonah receives a letter from her pen pal requesting help, only the front garden of the mansion is accessible. Nier, Kainé, and "Weissey" are invited inside by the butler after accepting Yonah's quest.
The mansion sits above the Underground Research Lab.
Points of Interest Edit
- Director Yoko says, "Neither Emil nor the butler are human, and they won't age. So to reflect time standing still, I gave the mansion a monochrome color palette."
- The mansion gives many nods to the game Resident Evil:
- The layout of the mansion is very similar to the Spencer Mansion, along with the hidden lab where experiments were being performed on people.
- The camera angle is also similar to Resident Evil's camera, being positioned statically and jumping to new locations as you move around the manor. Possibly intentional, or just a caveat of this type of camera system, this can frequently cause the player to start moving backwards or the wrong direction during a camera transition, which was a common issue in the original Resident Evil games for many players.
- Progression through the manor is sometimes made by searching rooms for many strange keys to open oddly themed locked doors, such as the "Moon Key", "Star Key", "Light Key", and "Darkness Key". The manor also is home to giant spiders, as well as a large library.