The Junk Heap is a location in NieR Replicant and Gestalt. It consists of the abandoned military base, as well as Gideon and Jakob's home right outside. Nier comes back here during the second half of the game to retrieve the Law of Robotics key fragment, one of five required for entry into the Shadowlord's Castle.
The area mainly hosts robots from the old world, and is still largely operational as the power somehow hasn't been cut off. The rails in the basement are armed with wall turrets and flying robots, and shift the camera to a top-down perspective, lending the gameplay a resemblance to bullet hell segments. The only item drops inside range from raw materials to salvaged robot parts; stocking up on healing items before heading in would be recommended.
The outside features the only place where Mouse Tails can be acquired, as well as the only vendor able to upgrade Nier's weapons. Both the Nameless Blade and Iron Will are upgraded to level 2 as part of the storyline.
When Nier and Grimoire Weiss first come to the Junk Heap, they encounter the two brothers, Jakob and Gideon, who live in a shack right outside. Nier talks to them about strengthening his weapon, and is asked to retrieve three Titanium Alloys from inside for Jakob to work with. Nier complies and goes inside the Junk Heap, fighting many guard robots that attack the party.
After collecting three of them, Nier returns to the brothers' shop. After Gideon cries about his missing mother, Jakob reluctantly asks Nier to help them find her. He goes deep within the Junk Heap to search for the missing mother. After going to the bottom and defeating Defense System Geppetto, they find the missing mother's body, along with that of her lover.
In the second part of the game, a flashback is shown of Gideon and Jakob going into the Junk Heap. Gideon accidentally causes his brother's death, but blames it on the Shade and robot nearby. When Nier goes back to the area, he is asked to destroy the robot and shade that Gideon believes killed his brother. The shade and the robot are found at the bottom of the Junk Heap and destroyed.
Points of Interest Edit
- Two Brothers Weaponry will be briefly unavailable after the timeskip. The shop opens up once the Stone Guardian key fragment has been obtained.
- Except for the Weapons Testing Area, each floor is identical in design, making it easy to get lost. The map will have to be pulled out from time to time for reorientation.
- Father Nier carries bombs much faster than Brother Nier during the first half of the game, due to the former already possessing an adult's physique.
- All characters found in the Junk Heap are named after characters from The Adventures of Pinocchio.
- The Abandoned Factory's furnace in NieR:Automata resembles the Junk Heap's weapon testing area. The former also serves as the site of a boss fight against So-Shi.