- "Finding light in the bad times is the mark of a true leader."
- —Nier, about the King of Facade
The young King of Façade reigns over the desert city, Façade, which is governed by thousands of rules. Though he is the greatest violator of these sacred rules that the citizens of Façade hold above all else, the King of Façade is a thoughtful and generous king who is dedicated to securing the prosperity of his nation. To this end, he has earned the respect of his people by fighting the never-ending challenges of finding food and water and fearlessly battling back the impending threat of Shades and continuous attacks by desert wolves. He is often reminded of various rules by the Advisor.
- See also: A Little Princess
He was first met by Nier, when they explored the temple in the desert. To regain the country’s lost trust as a result of his father dying from Black Scrawl Disease, he entered the Barren Temple to obtain the proof of kingship, a mask.
Five years later, the king was a successful leader and planning to marry Fyra. He invited his old friends to the ceremony, but when they arrived, Fyra was killed by the pack of wolves from the desert. Wracked with grief and rage, the king, along with his friends and army, avenged her death by going to the wolf den and slaughtering them all.
When Nier is in the Shadowlord's Castle, the king and his men arrive to help him fight off Goose, the Boar Shade that is attacking them. At the end of the fight, despite being fatally wounded, he succeeds in killing Goose and falls to the ground, promising to see Fyra again after he dies.
- Yoko Taro personally considers the King to be "the hero" in a sense that he was the hero for the wolves' story, the first story to be created for Nier. He also follows a traditional hero's arc and has an established love interest. He and Fyra were once considered candidates for main protagonists. The idea of creating replicants into the world also originated from their earliest incarnations.
- When he first gains the mask in the first part of the game, he imitates Link from the Legend of Zelda, with a similar tune playing.
- His real name is “Sechs”, the number 6 in German.